Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A sleeper bus ride at it's best

I can't take credit for this post. This is written in the words of my witty China-mate, Kate:


Wheels on the Bus

5:31 PM - Passengers board the bus, having drank very little all day to prepare their bladders for the journey. I put my shoes in a plastic bag and try not to smell my blanket.

6:17 PM - Hoo, we're flying now! At LEAST 45 mph!

7:21 PM - Travel Scrabble ceases as it is now too dark to see.

7:59 PM - All of the food is gone. All of it.

9:33 PM - Annie really has to go and is considering the funnel option. Does anyone have an empty water bottle?

10:02 PM - Rest stop. I squat over a trench behind half a brick wall and realize I left my T.P. on the bus.

10:37 PM - Sleeping pill administered.

10:46 PM - The guy in front of me lights up.

11:15 PM - The bus isn't moving.

12:01 AM - Where the hey AM I?

2:47 AM - More importantly, where the hey are my shoes?

2:49 AM - I miss... rice...

5:30 AM - Estimated arrival time comes and goes.

6:29 AM - Rest stop. I find it ironic that I am paying someone actual money to pee in a hole in the ground. Oh well.

6:40 AM - Debbie starts singing the Alligator song.

6:40.02 AM - Debbie stops singing the Alligator song, but the damage is done. I'll be singing it the rest of the day, if not my life.

7:18 AM - iPod batteries are dead.

9:26 AM - That baby is inconsolable. Give it up.

10:17 AM - We seem to be going through a bus wash. Who knew that such a thing even existed?

10:56 AM - Katie finishes Northanger Abbey with her typical impeccable timing. I don't know how she does it.

11:29 AM - Actual blessed arrival time. I dig my shoes out of the bag (no mold that I can see, bonus!) and try not to smell myself. Guilin/Yangshou, we have arrived. 

Thank you, Kate, for illustrating that so perfectly. You are a genius

0 comments: