Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm kind of a big deal

Well, maybe not me, but white Americans in general. We went exploring at a park next to our school and got bombarded by a group of people on their lunch break. They asked us to take a picture with them and were pretty excited when we said "yes". Like, seriously excited. They were squealing and jumping up and down. One said, "We can do tums up!" So here they are, demonstrating the "thumbs up" sign.
Then, they each wanted to take an individual picture with "the Americans". So twenty pictures later, we were good to go. One of the girls asked for my email address. The next day I got an email that read:

Hello Friend,
when we meet again? I will show you the girl places. Let me know about that.

Random people will come up to us and just start talking to us, pretty much because we are white Americans. A boy about our age came up to Kristy, offered his hand, and said, "Hi, nice to meet you." Before she could say hi back, he ran back over to his friend about 3 feet from us and started talking to him, in a very excited way. Jeanette, another girl I teach with, speaks fluent Mandarin and said that he was saying, "I talked to an American girl! I talked to an American girl!" I'm pretty positive that she made his day.

When we walk down the streets, parents will always push their kids over to us. The kids will say, "hello!" to us, then run back to their parents. The parents look so pleased. I think that they want to show off their kids English to us. 

I have also noticed that any time a bus stops at a light , that every Chinese forehead, no matter what age, will be pushed up against the window with their eyes locked on us. It's great. 

0 comments: